The hot lunch program does not begin until Friday, September 19th. Until then, all students must bring a brown bag lunch each day. The milk program will begin the first day of school.
|Mrs. Gannatti officially takes care of the "ribbon cutting"|
|Father Matera provides a blessing for our new playground.|
We were so happy that Father Matera could join us at the grand opening to provide a blessing that will surely help assure our playground is always a safe and happy place.
It's a busy time of year! Our school's Google calendar has been updated with all of the upcoming school year's events. The calendar is always available to you using the Calendar tab at the top of the blog. Here are a few key dates that are coming up soon:
* Grade 8 Parent Meeting - Thursday, 8/28, 6:30pm in the Grade 8 classroom. At least one parent from each grade 8 family should attend this important meeting. The 8th grade year includes many special activities and involves several special fund raising projects that help defray the costs associated with these activities. Your input is needed at this meeting to finalize plans.
* Labor Day - Monday, 9/1, School is closed.
* Parent Meeting for NEW Instrumental Music Students - Tuesday, 9/2, 6:30pm in the Grade 4 classroom. Only parents of students that are beginning study of instrumental music for the first time at SMS need to attend this meeting. See below Instrumental Music News for more information.
* Home & School Association Meeting - Thursday, 9/4, 6:30pm in the Grade 8 classroom. Did you know that just by sending your children to SMS, you are automatically a part of our Home & School Association. Your active involvement helps assure that our community does all it can to directly benefit our students and to keep SMS a vibrant, family centered Christian community.
* School Mass - Friday, 9/5, 9am in the church. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend our monthly school Masses. Please remember that no physical education uniforms should be worn to Mass.
* "Back to School Night" for Parents - Wednesday, 9/10, 6:30pm in the Parish Center. Book your sitter and join us for your first opportunity to experience a condensed "Day in the Life" of your special SMS student(s). This is your evening to get to know his/her teacher(s) a little better, visit the classroom(s) and leave a little note of encouragement. This is also your first opportunity to sign up for your required Parent/Teacher Conference(s) in November. Signing up for your conference at "Back to School" night helps assure you get the day and time most convenient for you!
Student iPad Deployment - Students in grades K-5 will begin iPad use once each class has the majority of all iPad related forms returned to school. Forms required for iPad use to begin include: The Electronic Use Agreement, the signed acknowledgement page for the Parent/Student Handbook and the signed acknowledgement page for the iPad Acceptable Use Agreement. Please note that all 3 forms require both parent and student signatures. The iPad insurance must also be paid. This was generally paid at time of enrollment. Based on past experience, we anticipate that most classes will have the required paperwork in within the first week of school beginning. This year, almost all of our middle school students have received their iPads prior to the start of school. If your family's summer plans did not permit you and your Middle School student(s) to meet with Mrs. Hatch, please contact her ASAP to make arrangements for the brief iPad deployment meeting that needs to take place before your student(s) can begin use of the iPad this year.
Click here for more information about Regional Band.
Again this year, thanks to Mr. Omelan Markiw, a parent volunteer, St. Mary's School will be able to offer a chess club to students again this Fall. Thank you, Mr. Markiw, for sharing your love of this game with our St. Mary's family again this year! This program is limited to 12 students. Chess Club will be held on Fridays from 3:30-4:30 pm in the 2nd grade classroom beginning on October 2, 2014 and running through November 21, 2014. The club is open to children in grades 1 through 8. If you sign up for chess club, please make every attempt to be at each session as there are limited seats available. If needed, children will be able to transition into aftercare at the end of chess club. If your child is interested in learning to play chess with their St. Mary's friends, please click here. Pick up after chess club is in the north parking lot. Please go to the north side of the building for pick up as there may not be someone in the office to open the main door.
Piano Lessons - Again this year, our Kindergarten teacher, Mr. Cosham is offering piano lessons for students beginning their study of piano. He still has a few time slots available. If you are interested, please contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.